Thursday, July 24, 2008

Argh....The Commericialzation of Christmas monster has started - 145 Days till Christmas.

I just went to Hobby Lobby to pick up some black cord to hang a cross necklace I plan to give to a friend who is being Ordained to the office of Minister and Word and Sacrament on Sunday. It is the Women in Ministry cross from one of the vendors at the General Assembly Exhibit area and I just fell in love it. I of course had to buy myself one too. It came with a nice black ribbon, but I thought that black shiny rat tail cord would look nicer than the ribbon and the ribbon was bit on the short side, especially for a liturgical cross.

OK, I have to have a rant here.

I walk into the store, browsed briefly at the clearance table in the front and saw nothing that really caught my eye and the proceed to walk down one of the isles where all I see is Red, and Green ribbon. I think to myself, 'hum, those are Christmas colors", then I get mad because I realize it is only July 24th. I then look up the next isle and see Christmas cards, and other items. Santa figurines made in China by children who could never afford to buy the low priced item or have any idea why a Nordic god (Thor) guised as a jolly elf who lives at the North Pole has come to symbolize the Christian holiday that celebrates the birth of the Savior of the world, Jesus Christ. I know that China is a country that has had missionaries from our Denomination. I know someone, just like Ruth Grahamn Bell, whose parents were missionaries in China, yet I also know that it takes great courage to profess Christ in China. I might be wrong when I say that the people who make all our kitch and nick nacks need our prayers and to know the love of God in Jesus Christ more than we need another plaster Santa Claus.

Well I looked around the yarn department like I always do, but I wasn't in the buying mood. I found some nylon cord that would work for my necklaces but I didn't want to 500 yards of nylon cord (althought I know I could have crocheted or knitted a purse from the left overs). I finally found what I needed over in the fabric department amongst the other (non green and red) ribbon.

I walked back up to the front of the store and realized that four of the seven isles have been attacked by the Commercialization of Christmas monster. I commented to the young man who checked me out, "It’s awfully early for Christmas isn't it." He replies, "I don't get to decided what gets displayed."

So I mark today. July 24, 2008 as the earliest date that I have seen Christmas items on display for sale in preparation to a holiday that is celebrated 145 days from today and has nothing to do with all the kitch that is marketed to us. I'm all for planning ahead and being prepared but this is just ridiculous.

No comments: