Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Technology Generation Gaps

I subcribe to an e-newsletter called Church Leader Intellegence Report (sounds important doesn't it) and it is put out by the same people that put out the SermonCentral stuff found at SermonCentral.com. The theology is not Reformed and I don't use the sermon site (there are numerous other sites that are far better for sermons that are more theologically sound, but I digress) but do find the newsletter interesting because the cultural data in the off shoot newsletter is sometimes helpful and interesting, like this piece in today's letter.

The Barna Group defines “mainstream” technology as those used by 50% or more of the population; and “emerging” technology is used by 20% to less than half of the population. Among Elders (age 62+), two of the 15 areas studied were deemed mainstream (email and search), while another two were emerging (IM and online purchases). Boomers (age 43-61) had two mainstream and four emerging areas. Busters (age 24-42) had four mainstream and four emerging technologies. Mosaics (age 23 and under) had eight mainstream categories and another three emerging. In other words, out of the 15 areas of technology assessed, Elders widely embraced or were becoming comfortable with four, Boomers six, Busters eight, and Mosaics eleven. Barna Update, 5/26/08

Here's the link to the BARNA Technology Study on the use of Social Networking, Online Entertainment, and Church PodCasts

This morning I was reading my weekly Church Leaders e-newsletter and this little gem grabbed my attention. As a pastor and social gerontologist having just returned from the PCUSA’s General Assembly where we elected a very tech savy moderator, I found these figures interesting and from my experience basically right on.

During this Assembly I can say I picked up one more technology that is mainstream and that I am now comfortable with using. That was how to effectively use text messaging. I received several text messages from a couple of different people and was able to respond effectively to them. I even taught my DH how to text and we chatted a couple of times. I’m in the demographic group between the Boomer and Buster [it depends on which demographer you use – some say I’m a Boomer and some say I’m part of Gen X or the Baby Busters]

Well, I found this tidbit interesting in hat those who were Elders are embracing technology, only slower. I can begin to see all kinds of opportunities for this and ways to begin to bridge and build relationships the generations. This isn’t BAD news for me but GOOD NEWS. I can see all kinds of possibilities for utilizing these technologies to enhance ministry or organizational communication and connection.
What are your mainstream technologies? And what are your emerging technologies? Good questions to ask your church or organizational leadership and membership.

No comments: