Monday, June 23, 2008

The Assembly So Far....


Computer access has been interesting. Kinda ironic considering we are in Silicon Valley. This is one of those occasions I'm glad I'm not a IT person but very grateful for their hard work behind the scenes. There are so many behind the scenes people that make a General Assembly work for the Commissioner's and Advisory Delegates that don't get their just due.....so Thank You!!!!!!!

Well here are some thoughts just off the top of my head about

Friday - the highlights were lunch at Original Joes with the Presbytery's Stated Clerk and two other commissioners from Heartland Presbytery. The Anti-Racism training was interesting. The most powerful piece were the brave people who shared their personal stories and the impact that racism had on their lives. The video in the second half was good, but the questions for reflection were more powerful

Saturday - the highlight was orientation and the election of the new moderator Bruce Reyes-Chow

Sunday's highlight was the worship service. The original artwork for this assembly is beautiful. I know I need to post pictures. Joan Gray's sermon was very challenging. She left us with the question of 'do we want to'....the do we want to is "love your neighbor as yourself...which of course is tough....but we do, we truly do have to make that choice. Sunday was then the first meetings with committees, since I'm on Bills and Overtures, my coomittee met twice and we met before all the other committees. We get to watch the other committees to make sure they are following process correctly...not glamorous work, but important and someone has to do it. Oh.....I got to take a picture of and shake the hand of Mike Farrell (BJ Honeycutt on M*A*S*H) He was a speaker an event I didn't get to attend and signing his book in the bookstore area. Very cool!!!! He's doing some interesting work in the area of human rights.

Monday's highlight was David LaMonte who played and talked at our breakfast this morning. Committees met all day today. Worship after dinner in the evening was the highlight for me. The dynamic preacher from Atlanta (a new church development that is an emergent church) was probably the best sermon I heard in years.

What I am appreciating is how everything is tying back into the Assembly Theme of Micha 6:8 Do Justice, Love Kindness, and Walk humbly with your God.

No comments: