Friday, June 13, 2008

My Presbyterian Pedigree

I’ve been a Presbyterian since my parents joined the Community Presbyterian Church in Grand Rapids, Minnesota when I was in kindergarten or so. I was raised in that church, baptized on December 31, 1978, since I wasn’t baptized as an infant and I didn’t want my baptism to be part of the Confirmation and Commissioning process. I wanted to it to be a stand alone event that would mark my acceptance as Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of my life. I was confirmed as a full member with my Confirmation/Commissioning class the following May (1979).

My father’s family is historically Presbyterian. My great-grandparents were members of Westminster Presbyterian Church in Minneapolis, Minnesota. My aunt attended Westminster Presbyterian Church every Sunday growing up in Minneapolis. My father’s step-mother was a member of Faith Presbyterian Church in Minnetonka, Minnesota and her pastor was Gary LeTourneau of the famed – within Presbyterian circles PJC case – LeTourneau vs Twin Cities Area Presbytery. Gary LeTourneau conducted my step-grandmother’s funeral in 1993. I didn’t make this connection to Presbyterian history and this Landmark PJC Case until after receiving notification of my step-grandmother’s death and reading the bulletin from the Service for the Witness of the Resurrection.


After graduation from college I attended Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary and graduated with my MDiv in 1990. I began my candidacy process in Northern Water’s Presbytery in 1987 and transferred that candidacy to Heartland Presbytery in 1991. I was ordained by Heartland Presbytery in 1994, was briefly a member of Ohio Valley Presbytery, which validated my call to a staff position as Program Assistant for the Jinishian Memorial Program. I worked for the former Social Justice and Peacemaking Ministry Unit before the 1993 restructure and then for the Worldwide Ministries Division until I left Louisville to move to the Kansas City area. I transferred my presbytery membership back to Heartland Presbytery in May 1999. I left my staff position in Louisville in March of 1999.

While on General Assembly staff, I helped staff the task force that wrote the Respectful Presence resource for congregations on Interfaith Worship and Celebration, that was commended to the church by the General Assembly in 1997.

I have served Heartland Presbytery as a member and moderator of the Church Order and Listening Division which holds responsibilities for review of Session minutes and registers as per the Book of Order and assisting with the Bills and Overture process at the Presbytery level. My most recent tenure on the Division was 2005-2007 where I served as Moderator of the Division. I have supplied pulpits throughout the Presbytery and have a great love for smaller churches and older adults. I currently serve the Ruskin Heights Presbyterian Church as their Temporary Supply Pastor and Heartland Presbytery as a Member at Large on the Presbytery Council assigned to the Business Affairs Committee. I am also a member of the Stewardship and Mission Interpretation Division of Council and a member of the Sexual Misconduct Response Panel.

Last year the Church Order and Listening Division undertook the task of revising the Presbytery’s Manual of Operations. The folks that worked with me and our Stated Clerk from the Division, Jack, Evelyn, and Renee’ did a fine job and the Presbytery approved the Manual at the February meeting this year. What an interesting experience that was!

I have also served on an Administrative Commission and two Investigating Committees.

I currently serve on the Church Order committee of the Synod of Mid-America.

For anyone who wants to doubt or question my Presbyterian Pedigree – here it is for you to see. Outlining this has been helpful to me.

My election by Heartland Presbytery to be one of their Minister Commissioners is a great honor and privilege. I am awed by the responsibility placed before me, awed with the support and love of my colleagues in ministry and I pray I am up to the challenge and the task.

No comments: