Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Praying our Way to San Jose

Last night, Monday, June 16th was one of several Praying our Way to San Jose services that will be held this week as some of the General Assembly staff are driving from Louisville to San Jose. I was unable to attend last night's prayer service since the little church I pastor, Ruskin Heights Presbyterian Church, holds its Stated Session Meeting on the third Monday of the month - so I was doing what small church (we have 58 on our roll) pastors do - moderating a Session meeting, which went well.

Ruskin Heights is an older adult congregation and the past four years I have spent with these folks has helped form me into the pastor I am today. They are good salt of the earth folks and although they aren't into the 'media' stuff - no fax machine, no website, only five or six member families even have an e-mail address. The church computer is basic and has dial up internet. The lessons of appropriate technology are applicable here in the US. The Ruskin congregation seeks to faithfully follow Christ the best they can as the world changes around them. It is these folks that I will keep in my heart and mind and prayers as I seek to serve this denomination - my Church - as a Commissioner at the upcoming assembly.

Last night' Praying our Way to San Jose, service was held at First Presbyterian Church in Lee's Summit, MO. The video starts and the audio kicks in 30 seconds later. The bells that open the service are wonderful. It is fun for me to hear and see my Presbytery colleagues lead this service.. Prayer, especially for the work that faces the commissioners beginning on Friday is so important. Please, all who read this blog, remember me and the other Commissioners and Advisory Delegates in your prayers.

In case you want to do what I have done to participate in the service, you can catch last nights service on live streaming video at this link.

Allison Seed, who has chaired the General Assembly Council for the past three years, is a Minister Member of Heartland Presbytery and pastor of Trinity Presbyterian Church in Independence, MO. Allison is the preacher for this service. My biggest disappointment about missing this service was not getting to hear Allison preach. I always like to hear other powerful women preachers. It helps me improve my own preaching.

As I have watched the service on live streaming video I have been inspired by the hymn in this service, but my biggest inspiration has been Allison's sermon. It interprets the work before the Assembly and brings it home to you and me. Please take the time to listen to the service and hear her Sermon.

And don't forget to pray!

No comments: